手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 双语阅读 > 图文阅读 > 大千世界 > 正文

Sara Ali Khan真诚做自己 (上)

来源:英文阅读网 编辑:sophie   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

I am very, very overwhelmed to be.

我对此感到非常非常不知所措。

I didn't expect this at all. And it's really nice.

我完全没想到。真的很棒。

So, thank you so much for having me.

所以,非常感谢你们邀请我。

You know, university's always been very important to me and my family.

你知道,大学对我和我的家人一直都很重要。

It's something that my father inculcated in me very early in life.

这是我父亲在我很小的时候就灌输给我的。

He said that education is of prime importance.

他说,教育是最重要的。

But more than that, I think to find your own place in any institution is the most important.

但更重要的是,我认为在任何时候找到自己的位置是最重要的。

So, whether it's the subjects that you do, the university that you apply to, or the essay that you write, the one piece of advice that I would impart is do it honestly and do it yourself because there's a reason that universities ask you to write essays.

所以,无论是你学的科目,你申请的大学,还是你写的论文,我要给你的建议是:真诚地去做,自己去做,因为大学要求你写论文是有原因的。

You know, I got rejected from Oxford1 University, which is in England, which was my dream.

你知道,我被我的梦想学校,英国的牛津大学拒绝了。

It was my dream school to go to Oxford and I didn't get in.

牛津是我梦寐以求的学校,但我没被录取。

And I thought that the world was going to end that day.

我觉得那天简直就是世界末日。

I was, I didn't know what to do.

我当时不知道该怎么办。

I called my mother up hysterically2 crying, saying, mom, I've gotten rejected from Oxford.

我歇斯底里地给我妈妈打电话,说,妈妈,我被牛津大学拒绝了。

I don't know what to do.

该怎么办呢。

And then short enough, you know, the common apps came in and I got into Columbia.

不过很快,利用美国大学通用申请系统,我进入了哥伦比亚大学。

And those three years that I spent in New York, I mean, I would give an arm and a leg to do it again.

我在纽约度过的那三年,我愿意不惜一切代价再过一次。

And I think it's moments like that, that you realize that people know what they're doing.

我认为就是在这种时候,人才会意识到自己在做什么。

You know, there's a reason I didn't get into Oxford and there's a reason I got into Columbia.

你知道,我没有考上牛津大学是有原因的,我考上哥伦比亚大学也是有原因的。

And if you knew me at all, you would understand that I was happier in New York City than I would have been in Oxford, you know, and to each their own.

如果你了解我,你就会明白,我在纽约市比在牛津更快乐,那里的每个人都是这样。

But I would definitely say that when you think about education, as important as it is, it's also very personal.

但我可以肯定地说,教育,尽管它很重要,但也是非常个人化的,每个人都不一样。

So, be sure and be careful to be yourself because that's the most important thing, anywhere.

所以,一定要小心做你自己,因为做自己在任何时候都是最重要的。

So, when I finished the 10th grade, I was almost convinced that I wanted to do Medicine.

我读完10年级的时候,我几乎确信我想学医学。

But the thing is that I have like this mild tremor3 problem.

但问题是我有轻微的震颤问题。

Like if I keep my hands, you know, there's a slight tremor.

就像这样如果我保持我的手不动,它还是会有轻微的震动。

So, I was like, okay, I can't do surgery. So, let's not do this.

所以,我说,好吧,我不能做手术。我不要学医学。

Let's do law. So, I decided4 to study law.

那就学法律吧。所以,我决定学法律。

So, I did history and political science, but then in my last semester, oh no, my second last semester of college, I did an acting5 course.

我学了历史和政治学,但是在我的最后一个学期,哦不,我大二的下学期,我学了一门表演课。

And I realized that as somebody that's loved studying, as somebody that till date loves reading, In a university like Columbia, in a city like New York, you know, I did courses in every field.

我意识到,作为一个热爱学习的人,作为一个热爱阅读的人,在哥伦比亚这样的大学,在纽约这样的城市,各个领域的课程我都学过。

I did history. I did Political Science. I did Chemistry. I did Math. I did Economics. I did Literature. I did Philosophy.

我学过历史、政治学、化学、数学、经济学,也学过文学和哲学。

I did courses in so many different, different things and enjoyed each and every one of them.

我上了很多不同的课程,每一门课都很享受。

But the rush I felt when I did theater on stage, I've never felt like that.

但是,当我在舞台上表演戏剧时,我感受到的那种冲动,是我从来没有的感觉。

And that's when I knew what I'd known since I was a child.

从那时起,我就知道了我从小就知道的事情。

Because since I was four, acting has been a dream, but then I got distracted because, A, I was really fat, and B, I was really nerdy.

因为从我四岁起,表演就一直是我的梦想,但后来我分心了,因为,第一,我真的很胖,第二,我真的很书呆子。

And the combination meant that I probably shouldn't act, you know, why?

这个组合意味着我可能不应该表演,你们也知道为什么。

Might as well study. Because I really, really enjoyed it.

不如好好学习吧。因为我真的,真的很享受。

You know, there used to be times and I promise you, I'm not making this up.

你知道,以前总有这样的时候,我保证不是我编的。

That mom would come into the room and she would confiscate6 my books because she would say, this is not okay.

以前妈妈会走进房间,没收我的书,因为她会说,这不好。

You cannot do this. It's not normal.

你不能总看书。这不正常。

本文转载自英文阅读网,如有侵权,请联系我们删除。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
mild [maild]

想一想再看

adj. 温和的,柔和的

 
institution [.insti'tju:ʃən]

想一想再看

n. 机构,制度,创立

联想记忆
impart [im'pɑ:t]

想一想再看

vt. 传授,赋予,告知

联想记忆
tremor ['tremə]

想一想再看

n. 震动,颤动,战栗,兴奋,地震

联想记忆
acting ['æktiŋ]

想一想再看

n. 演戏,行为,假装 adj. 代理的,临时的,供演出

 
surgery ['sə:dʒəri]

想一想再看

n. 外科,外科手术,诊所

 
convinced [kən'vinst]

想一想再看

adj. 信服的

 
prime [praim]

想一想再看

adj. 最初的,首要的,最好的,典型的
n.

联想记忆
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
combination [.kɔmbi'neiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 结合,联合,联合体

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。